Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Archive brought to you by Cross Stitch UK

Main menu

Tuesday, 2 October 2023

Reporting non-emergency crimes using 101

101 is the number to call when you want to contact your local police - when it's less urgent than 999. It is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Where is the 101 service available?

101 is now available across all areas of England and Wales.

What you can report using 101

Call 101 to contact the police to report less urgent crime and disorder or to speak to your local officers. For example, call 101:

  • if your car has been stolen
  • if your property has been damaged
  • if you suspect drug use or dealing in your local area
  • to report a minor traffic accident
  • to give the police information about crime in your area
  • to speak to the police about a general enquiry

In Sheffield, you can also call 101 if you have problems with vandalism and graffiti; noise nuisance; abandoned vehicles; dumping or fly tipping and broken street lighting.

If you have a non-emergency problem to report but can't call 101, you can contact your local police force on their alternative non-emergency number. Use the link below for a list of police force contact numbers.

When you should use 999 instead

In an emergency always call 999.

You should call 999 if:

  • a crime is in progress
  • someone suspected of a crime is nearby
  • there is danger to life
  • violence is being used or threatened

If you call 101 but are reporting an emergency, you will be directed to the 999 service.

Cost: what you will be charged if you call 101

Calls to 101 (from both landlines and mobiles) cost 15 pence per call no matter what time of day you call, or how long you are on the phone.

Who will answer your 101 call?

Calls to 101 are answered by police call handlers in the control room of your local police force.

When you call 101, the system will automatically connect you to your local police force. You will hear a recorded message telling you which force you are being connected to. If you are on the boundary between two or more forces, you will have a choice of which force you are connected to.

Calling 101 if you have speech or hearing impairments

If you are in a 101 area and have a speech or hearing impairment, you can textphone 18001 101.

What happens if English isn't your first language

If you have difficulty speaking English, your local police force can get an interpreter to translate your call.

How to report general nuisance or environmental issues

You should still call your local council about issues like:

  • reporting graffiti
  • dog fouling
  • abandoned vehicles
  • dumping and fly tipping
  • vandalism

Additional links

Local crime information

Find out what's being done about crime and anti-social behaviour where you live

Access keys