Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Archive brought to you by Cross Stitch UK

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2023

Support for victims of crime after the trial

As a victim of crime you might still feel vulnerable after a trial, even if the criminal has been convicted. Find out what happens after a trial, how to get information about what happened to the offender, and where to get help.

Getting help after the trial

Victim Support helps people affected by crime

A witness care officer should tell you the result of the trial within a day of getting the outcome. They should also explain what the result means.

The effects of a crime can last a long time after a trial. You can still need help and support from Victim Support. Find out how to get extra help using the link below.

If an offender tries to contact you from prison

If you get unwanted letters or phone calls from the prisoner you can phone the National Offender Management Service Victim helpline on 0845 7585 112.

You can also use this number if you are worried about being contacted by the offender.

The staff at the helpline will let the prison governor know about your call. The prison governor will look into your concerns and decide if they need to take any action against the prisoner. This could involve monitoring a prisoner’s letters and phone calls.

When the offender is let out of prison

Phone the police if you are contacted by the offender

Offenders who spend part of their sentence in the community on 'licence' after coming out of jail are supervised by probation officers. The licence will include conditions on their behaviour.

If the offender tries to contact you, they may break the terms of their release and be sent back to prison. Phone the police if you are contacted by the offender.

Protection if you're a victim of violent or sexual crime

If you are a victim of a violent or sexual crime, you can get protection if:

  • the offender serves a sentence of a year or more
  • the offender has been detained as a mental health patient

After the trial you will be put in touch with a victim liaison officer at the Probation Service. The officer will keep you updated on the offender’s sentence. They will also let you know the month when the offender will be released.

The victim liaison officer will ask you if you have any concerns about the release of the offender. You can put your concerns into a victim statement which goes to the Parole Board. This organisation decides if it’s safe to release dangerous prisoners.

The Parole Board will take your concerns into account when making their decision. They will also consider the risk to you if the prisoner is released.

You can ask the victim liaison officer to help you write the victim statement. In the statement you can ask for conditions to be added to the release of the offender, to protect you and your family. These could include:

  • an exclusion zone around where you live
  • a condition forbidding the offender from contacting you

Additional links

Victims of crime - find help

If you're a victim of crime, you can now search for services in your area that can give you help and support

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Access keys