Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Archive brought to you by Cross Stitch UK

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2023

Claim Bereavement Payment, Bereavement Allowance or Widowed Parent's Allowance (form BB1)

You may be able to get a one-off payment or regular payments if you have been bereaved.


A Bereavement Payment is a one-off lump sum based on your late husband or wife's national insurance (NI) contributions. It used to be called Widow's Payment.

Bereavement Allowance is a regular payment, paid for 52 weeks from the bereavement, and based on your late husband or wife's NI contributions. It used to be called Widow's Pension.

Widowed Parent's Allowance is a regular payment which you may be able to get if you are a parent whose husband, wife or civil partner has died and you have a dependent child or young person (aged 16 and under 20) for whom you receive Child Benefit. It used to be called Widowed Mother's Allowance.

Bereavement Payment, Bereavement Allowance and Widowed Parent's Allowance are available in England, Scotland and Wales only.

The Bereavement Benefits link below provides more information on these payments and allowances.

How to use this service

You can download a Bereavement Benefits pack in PDF format. The form comes with notes that will help you fill it in and tell you where to send the completed form.

You should claim straight away. If you delay you may lose benefit.

To access the form you will need a copy of Adobe Reader. Information on how to download this for free is available on the right panel of this page.

Additional links

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Claim Jobseeker's Allowance online

Benefits advice online

Get benefits advice by using this online tool to answer questions about your situation

Access keys