Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Archive brought to you by Cross Stitch UK

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2023

Check your council tax band

Search your council tax banding using this service from the Valuation Office Agency (VOA). The VOA is responsible for maintaining the business rating and council tax valuation lists for England and Wales.

How to use this service

You can check your band by either entering your postcode or your billing authority, if you know it.

When you enter your billing authority you will be prompted to provide more information - the first line of your home address is the quickest way to identify your property. Alternatively, when you enter your full postcode the name or number of your house will quickly identify your property.

The results page will display a billing authority reference number, your full postal address and the band within which your property falls. The page also confirms whether it is a composite address (ie) where a part only is used for domestic purposes within a single occupation.

Additional links

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Claim Jobseeker's Allowance online

Benefits advice online

Get benefits advice by using this online tool to answer questions about your situation

Access keys