Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Archive brought to you by Cross Stitch UK

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2023

Apply for Carer's Allowance (form DS700)

Carer's Allowance is a benefit paid to informal carers of people who are severely disabled.


You can claim Carer's Allowance if you are aged 16 or over and spend at least 35 hours a week caring for the same relative, friend or neighbour. They should be receiving, for example, Attendance Allowance or Disability Living Allowance (at the middle or highest rate for personal care).

If you are claiming for the first time, please find out more about Carer's Allowance in the 'Caring for someone' section of Directgov. There's information about eligibility, the amount you may receive and what to do if your circumstances change.

How to use this service

You can either claim online or download a claim form to post.

To claim online use the link below and follow the on-screen instructions. The first page will check that you have the right software and show you what to do if you haven't.

You can download a claim form in PDF format.

Additional links

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Claim Jobseeker's Allowance online

Benefits advice online

Get benefits advice by using this online tool to answer questions about your situation

Access keys