Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Archive brought to you by Cross Stitch UK

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2023

Make a complaint against a local council or authority

Make an online complaint about local council or local authority services to the Local Government Ombudsman.


To make a complaint about your local council or local authority, you must first complain to the council concerned. If the matter is not resolved to your satisfaction, you can then go to the Local Government Ombudsman.

The link below will take you to a page where you can type in your postcode to find your local authority. You will then be taken to your local council's complaints page.

How to use this service

If you are not happy with the response you receive from your local council, you can take your complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman.

Additional links

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Claim Jobseeker's Allowance online

Benefits advice online

Get benefits advice by using this online tool to answer questions about your situation

Access keys