Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Archive brought to you by Cross Stitch UK

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2023

Television licence discount

If you are registered blind or severely sight impaired, you can get a 50 per cent reduction on the cost of a TV licence. You may also be entitled to a concessionary TV licence if you live in residential care or sheltered housing.

TV licence concession for blind people

You can get 50 per cent off the cost of your TV licence if either:

  • you are registered blind or severely sight impaired
  • you live with someone who is registered blind or severely sight impaired

If the person who is registered blind is not the current licence holder for your address, you'll need to transfer the licence to their name.

You can do this by contacting TV Licensing.

Telephone: 0844 800 6737

Minicom: 0300 790 6050

How to apply

To claim the TV licence concession for blind people, you'll need to provide a photocopy of the certificate. This certificate will be from your local authority or ophthalmologist stating that you are registered blind or severely sight impaired.

In Northern Ireland, the certificate or document must be issued by or on behalf of a Health and Social Services Trust. On the Isle of Man, it must be issued by or on behalf of the Department for Health and Social Services.

Post this certificate along with your licence renewal notice - if you have one - and a cheque or postal order for the licence to:

TV Licensing
Blind Concession Group
Bristol BS98 1TL

Remember to include your name, address, phone number and TV licence number, if you have one.

Backdating your TV licence concession

If you have only recently found out about the concession, refunds are available for previous years backdated to 1 April 2000. You will have to prove that you had a television licence and were registered blind during the relevant period.

Contact TV Licensing for more information.

Renewing your concessionary TV licence

Once you have provided a photocopy of your certificate, you will not need to do so again. You must still continue to renew your licence every year.

You can renew your licence online on the TV Licensing website.

Concessionary TV licence for people living in residential care

If you live in residential care, you may be entitled to an Accommodation for Residential Care (ARC) concessionary TV licence. It costs £7.50 a year.

The ARC concessionary licence is available to people living in certain types of residential care accommodation who are either:

  • disabled
  • aged 60 or over and retired

Your housing manager can tell you whether your accommodation is eligible for the ARC concessionary licence. They can also apply for a licence on your behalf. To check if you qualify, they can call the TV Licensing Concessionary Licensing Team on 0844 800 5808.

You only need a TV licence if you watch TV in your own separate living area. It is the responsibility of the housing manager to make sure that TVs in common areas are correctly licensed.

If you have a full TV licence and you move into residential care, you may be able to claim a refund. The refund may cover any unused quarters remaining in the year once your scheme has been approved. Your housing manager should apply to TV Licensing for a refund on your behalf.

Access keys

If you would like to take part in our website visitor survey, please visit the site and then come back and select this link to take part in the survey.