Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Archive brought to you by Cross Stitch UK

Main menu

Tuesday, 2 October 2023

Who to contact about disability and carers benefits

Who you should contact depends on which benefit it's about and whether you have already made a claim or not.

Disability benefits – before you have made a claim

The Benefit Enquiry Line is a telephone advice and information service. You can call if you are sick or disabled or if you are caring for someone and acting on their behalf.

Telephone: 0800 88 22 00

Textphone: 0800 24 33 55

You can also use the Text Relay service.

It is open from 8.30 am to 6.30 pm Monday to Friday.

Benefit Enquiry Line gives general advice on benefits. Enquiries relating to a specific benefit claim should be directed to the office dealing with your claim.

Disability benefits – once you have made a claim

You can get advice from the Disability Living Allowance and Attendance Allowance Helpline, who should have access to your records.

Telephone: 08457 123 456

Textphone: 08457 22 44 33

You can also use the RNID Text Relay service.

The helpline is open from 7.30 am to 6.30 pm, Monday to Friday.


Explaining a benefit decision

Contact the Disability Living Allowance and Attendance Allowance helpline if you would like someone to explain a decision relating to your claim. Staff will help you understand the reasons why the decision was made.

If you disagree with a decision relating to your claim see the link 'how to appeal against a benefits decision'.

Sending documents for online Attendance Allowance and Disability Living Allowance claims

If you have made a claim for Disability Living Allowance or Attendance Allowance online, you may need to send documents to support your claim. Find out where to send your documents by following the links below.

Carer's Allowance

If you are claiming Carer's Allowance, contact the Carer's Allowance Unit.

Employment and Support Allowance and Incapacity Benefit

If you are thinking about claiming Employment and Support Allowance, contact the contact centre. Lines are open Monday to Friday, 8.00 am to 8.00 pm.

Contact centre numbers:

Telephone 0800 055 6688

Textphone 0800 023 4888

If you are already receiving Employment and Support Allowance or Incapacity Benefit, you should contact the office dealing with your claim. You can find the address and phone number on letters that were sent to you by the office.

Vaccine Damage Payment

Contact the Vaccine Damage Payments Unit for information about the Vaccine Damage Payments Scheme, including eligibility and how to make a claim.

Useful contacts

Access keys

If you would like to take part in our website visitor survey, please visit the site and then come back and select this link to take part in the survey.