Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Archive brought to you by Cross Stitch UK

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2023

Coping with redundancy

Find out about the range of support available to help you cope with redundancy. You can find out your rights, search for work and get practical help when applying for jobs. You can also use the online benefits adviser to find what benefits you and your family may be entitled to.

Being made redundant

Redundancy can be a worrying time, but support is available. If you are going to be made redundant from your job, you should be treated fairly by your employer. There are certain steps your employer is expected to follow.

You may also be entitled to redundancy pay. You can use the online calculator to work out how much redundancy pay you are entitled to.

Leaving your job

On your last day at work you should receive all the wages you are entitled to, plus payment for any outstanding period of notice that you have not worked. You should receive:

  • accrued holiday pay (payment for holiday owed which has not been taken)
  • Income Tax form P45
  • redundancy pay
  • a letter stating the date of redundancy

Finding work

Jobcentre Plus has Britain’s largest database of job vacancies. You can use the jobs and skills search to find a job that is suitable for you. You can also get tips on how to fill in application forms and prepare for job interviews by following the links below.

Claiming benefits after redundancy

As part of your benefit claim, you may be asked about any redundancy payments you have had from your employer. Your Jobcentre Plus adviser will explain whether these payments will have any effect on your claim.

You or your partner may get a payment from your employer when your job ends, eg final pay, wages if you worked a week in hand, holiday pay. These payments are not taken into account when considering your claim for Jobseeker’s Allowance or Income Support.

You can use the online benefits adviser to help you find out which benefits you are entitled to.

How your retirement might be affected

If you are worried or have questions about how saving for your retirement might be affected by redundancy, you can contact the Pensions Advisory Service. It is an independent not-for-profit organisation that provides free information and guidance. The service can also help you if you have a problem, complaint or dispute with your occupational or private pension provider.

Where to get further help

Community Legal Advice can provide free help and advice on what your rights are when you are made redundant.

Additional links

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Access keys