Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Archive brought to you by Cross Stitch UK

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2023

Warm Front scheme

The Warm Front scheme installs insulation and heating improvements to make homes more energy efficient. Find out more about the Warm Front scheme, including who qualifies and how to apply.

What you'll get

You could get help worth up to £3,500 to improve the central heating or insulation in your home through the Warm Front Scheme.

Grants are available to help cover the costs of improvements such as:

  • loft insulation
  • draught-proofing
  • cavity wall insulation
  • hot water tank insulation
  • gas, electric, liquid petroleum gas or oil heating
  • converting your solid-fuel open fire to a glass-fronted fire
  • replacing your heating system with an oil or alternative technology system – the grant limit for this is £6,000

If you qualify, Warm Front will arrange for a company to do the work. Any money you get is paid directly to this company - not to you.

Only companies approved by Warm Front can carry out the work. If the bill is likely to be more than the grant, Warm Front will discuss this with you to make sure you can pay the extra costs.

The Warm Front Scheme is only available in England.


Both you and the property need to qualify.

The property

To qualify, the property must be:

  • in England
  • your own - or you rent it privately and have the owner’s permission to do the work
  • poorly insulated and or not have a working central heating system


To qualify, you must get one of the following:

  • Pension Credit - the Guaranteed Credit or Savings Credit element
  • the support or work related activity element of income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit - and your income is £15,860 or less
  • Working Tax Credit - and one of the extra conditions below
  • Income Support or income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance - and one of the extra conditions below

Extra conditions

If you get Working Tax Credit, Income Support or income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance there are extra conditions you need to meet.

Working Tax Credit

Your income must be £15,860 or less and one of the following must apply:

  • you’re responsible for a child under 16 who ordinarily lives with you (or under 20 if they’re in education or training)
  • you get the Disabled worker or severe disability element for a child or young person of Working Tax Credit
  • you’re 60 or over

Income Support or income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance

One of the following must apply:

  • you’re responsible for a child under 16 (or under 20 if they’re in education or training
  • you get the disability or severe disability element of Child Tax Credit
  • you get Disabled Child Premium
  • you get the severe or enhanced element of Disability Premium
  • you get the higher or enhanced premium of Pensioner Premium

How to claim

You can apply for a Warm Front grant:

  • online
  • by post - send it to Warm Front
  • by phone - an advisor will take you through the application

Warm Front
Carillion Energy Services
Freepost NEA12054
Newcastle upon Tyne

Telephone: 0800 316 2805
Textphone: 0800 072 0156
Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm
Saturday 9am to 5pm

What happens next

If you qualify, a Warm Front surveyor checks your home to see what’s needed. If during the survey it is identified that the energy efficiency of your home is above the threshold required to benefit from the scheme, or no recommendations are made, you will be given information about other sources of help. If you qualify for help under the scheme, a Warm Front approved company then carries out the work.

Complaints about Warm Front

Complaints about Warm Front First, complain to Carillion Energy Services. If you’re not happy with their response, contact the Department of Energy and Climate Change.

In this section...

Additional links

Energy efficiency helpline

England and Wales:
0300 123 1234
9am-8pm Mon-Fri, 10am-2pm Sat

Calls will be charged at standard national rate

0800 512 012
9am-5pm Mon-Fri

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Access keys