Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Archive brought to you by Cross Stitch UK

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2023

Changing your details in the land register

Details of a property's ownership are recorded in a public register of land interests for England and Wales called the 'land register'. If your property is registered and you change your name or contact address, or pay off the mortgage, Land Registry needs to update its records. Find out when and how to update the register.

If your contact address changes

Help protect yourself from property fraud – update your contact details on the land register

You should make sure Land Registry has an up-to-date 'address for service' (contact address) for you. This ensures you get important letters or notices about your property and can protect you from property fraud.

You can have up to three addresses for service. For example:

  • an address where you’re living now
  • an email address
  • an address abroad

Updating your address details

You can change your address details using the form 'Updating registered owners' contact details'.

You need to include:

  • a passport-sized photo (taken in the last three months)
  • your date of birth
  • your previous addresses for the last five years

You also need to send a copy of the photo page in your passport or a copy of your photocard driving licence. Or you can send in two items from the following list:

  • a copy of a utility bill that you got in the post (for example, an electricity bill) – it must be less than three months old
  • a copy of a council tax bill for the current year
  • a copy of a mortgage statement for the last completed year

You will need to send the form, along with your photo and proof of ID, to the following address:

Land Registry Gloucester Office
COA Team
Twyver House
Bruton Way
Gloucester GL1 1DQ

If your name has changed

You will need to update your details on the land register if you change your name by:

  • getting married
  • entering into a civil partnership
  • deed poll
  • statement of truth or statutory declaration

You can ask a conveyancer to update your details for you or you can do it yourself. If you ask a conveyancer, they will need to see proof that your name has changed.

If you do it yourself, you will need to send proof to your nearest Land Registry office.

The proof that your name has changed that you need to supply must be one of the following:

  • a marriage certificate (original or copy)
  • civil partnership certificate (original or copy)
  • deed poll certificate (original or copy)
  • statutory declaration or statement of truth (original – include a copy if you want the original returned).

If you are changing your name by deed poll or by a statement of truth or statutory declaration you will also need to send in form ID1 (the 'Certificate of identity for a private individual'). You do not need to send form ID1 if you are changing your name on marriage or civil partnership.

If your mortgage details change

When you pay off a mortgage, your lender might ask Land Registry to remove it from the register. If they do, they should let you know.

If you want to remove a mortgage from the register yourself, you’ll need to ask your lender to complete form DS1 and send it to you. You can then send this, along with forms DS2 and ID1, to your nearest Land Registry office.

Where to send your Land Registry forms

The Land Registry office you need to send your forms to might not be the one that is closest to you. Use Land Registry’s office finder to find out which office to send your forms to.

Additional links

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Useful contacts

Access keys