Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Archive brought to you by Cross Stitch UK

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2023

Residential parking permits

The process of getting, renewing and withdrawing a residential parking permit varies from council to council. Find out who is eligible for a permit, what the permit allows you to do and how to apply for one.

Parking permit schemes and applying for a permit

Get your permit

Find out how to apply to your local council

Parking permit schemes work differently depending on where you live. For example, inner London schemes will not be the same as those in suburban areas. The link on the right will let you enter details of where you live. You will then be taken to your local council's website where you can find out more about how the scheme works in your area. Some council's websites allow you to apply online for a permit.

Who is eligible for a parking permit?

You will normally qualify for a parking permit if you are a resident and keep and use:

  • a car
  • a van with an unloaded weight not exceeding 35cwt (1,778kg)
  • or motorcycle on a full-time basis

Some councils don't require permits for motorcycles and others might not give you a permit for a van. You can check your local council's website for arrangements in your area.

You can't park in resident permit holders' spaces unless you also have a valid permit for the area.

If you have a disabled persons' blue badge you can usually park in two hour spaces for as long as you wish. You can park for up to three hours on single or double yellow lines if you are part of the orange/blue badge scheme. Some councils don't need a badge to be displayed - disabled drivers' details are added to an electronic database instead. The orange/blue badge scheme does not apply to some parts of central London. You can apply to your council for a blue badge parking permit by following the link below.

What the parking permit allows you to do

The permit lets you park in parking spaces that are reserved for permit holders.

Make sure:

  • your permit is valid
  • your permit has not expired
  • that the registration number is correct
  • your permit is used in line with the conditions of issue

Apply for a permit

The following link will let you enter details of where you live and then take you to your local authority website where you can find out more.

Visitor parking permits

A visitor permit is usually issued in addition to the residential parking permit, apart from in some parts of central London.

Visitor permits can only be given to those calling at the permit holders address. It is the householders responsibility to make sure that they get the permit back from their visitor's vehicle at the end of their stay. All permits must be displayed clearly in the vehicle's windscreen.

Not all areas that have residential parking permit schemes will have visitor permits. For instance, if there is not enough space for both residents and visitors vehicles residents will be given priority. Visitors will be expected to find parking elsewhere.

Renewing your parking permit

You are responsible for renewing your permit if:

  • your permit expires - visitors' permits are usually valid for one year and residents' permits valid for two years
  • you change your vehicle

Withdrawal of a parking permit

Your permit may be withdrawn or invalidated if:

  • the permit is not being used in accordance with these guidelines
  • you are no longer eligible to hold a permit
  • the permit is altered or defaced in anyway
  • the permit is passed to unauthorised users

Parking in a controlled zone

A controlled parking zone (CPZ) is a parking scheme mainly used in urban areas. CPZs are used by local councils to address particular parking problems in a community - usually in order to help residents park near to their homes.

This means that parking is only permitted in designated parking bays - the remainder of the kerbside space is subject to yellow line restrictions.

CPZs can also be used to allow more free-flowing traffic through town centres, particularly where parking causes problems for the emergency services.

To find out more information about controlled parking zones in your area, contact your local council.

Useful contacts

Additional links

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Access keys