Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2023

Changing your vehicle details on your registration certificate

You’ll need to update your registration certificate (V5C) if you make any changes to your vehicle or if any of the details shown on your registration certificate are incorrect. The amount of vehicle tax you pay may be affected and you will need to produce documentary evidence of the changes.

Changes you need to update

You’ll need to tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) about the following changes to your vehicle:

  • colour
  • engine
  • cylinder capacity
  • fuel type (propulsion)
  • replacing or modifying the chassis/monocoque bodyshell
  • seating capacity
  • weight of a goods vehicle

Change to engine and cylinder capacity (engine size)

DVLA will need written evidence of any changes to engine number and cylinder capacity (cc). Written evidence can be:

  • a receipt for the replacement engine
  • written evidence from the manufacturer
  • an inspection report provided for insurance purposes
  • written confirmation on headed paper from a garage if the change in engine size took place before you bought the vehicle

Change to fuel type

DVLA will need written confirmation of any changes to fuel type if:

  • your existing engine is converted - the confirmation must be on headed paper from the garage that carried out the work
  • a new engine is fitted - the receipt will be required as confirmation

Change to the number of seats on a bus

A change to the number of seats including the driver's seat may affect the amount of vehicle tax you pay.

Change to the revenue weight for larger vehicles

For changes to the revenue weight you’ll need to produce a plating certificate or design weight certificate.

Change of taxation class to disabled

You’ll need to produce the appropriate exemption certificate if you change the tax class of your vehicle to disabled.

Other changes

Your vehicle may need to be inspected by a DVLA local office. You must contact your nearest DVLA local office if you change:

  • wheel plan
  • body type (DVLA allocate a body type description based on the external appearance of a vehicle)
  • vehicle identification number (VIN)
  • chassis number
  • frame number for motorcycles

How to tell DVLA about the changes

Using your registration certificate you’ll need to:

  • notify any changes or corrections by completing section seven
  • sign and date the declaration box

For changes not listed in section seven you'll need to underline the vehicle details in section four, writing the new information next to them. You must also produce documentary evidence with a covering letter explaining the changes.

If the changes don’t affect your vehicle tax, then send the registration certificate and any additional documentation to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA.

If the changes affect the amount of vehicle tax you pay, you’ll need to apply to your nearest DVLA local office to:

  • apply for an exchange licence if your tax disc shows the old details
  • retax your vehicle if the vehicle tax has expired

In both cases, you’ll need to include the registration certificate and any additional documentation with your application.

When to expect your registration certificate

DVLA will aim to deliver a registration certificate to you within two to four weeks of receiving your application. However, please allow up to four weeks before contacting DVLA.

Additional links

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Save time - do it online

Find out what motoring services are available online

Access keys

If you would like to take part in our website visitor survey, please visit the site and then come back and select this link to take part in the survey.