Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2023

Getting your child involved with music and the arts

It has never been easier for children to get creative and get involved with the arts. From music clubs, acting, storytelling, even circus performance - there are plenty of activities at your child's school and in your area.

Music clubs

Music clubs are often included in after-school activity or learning programmes at school (sometimes known as Study Support). Your child's school will have more information on this.

Your local authority can also give you information about after-school programmes and clubs. Their website is often a good way to find out what is on offer, or you can contact them directly.

Affordable music initiatives, performance opportunities and events

There are a number of government-sponsored initiatives to help children participate in music education and events at a low cost or free of charge. You may also find organisations or individuals in your area that run music classes and workshops for children for a fee.

Organisations which may be of interest include:

  • Music for Youth - an educational charity offering free access to music and performance opportunities to children aged from four to 18
  • Youth Music - offers free music activities aimed specifically at children who might not otherwise have opportunities to participate in them

Music lessons and grants for a gifted or talented child

If your child has been identified as gifted or talented, they may be eligible for a grant under the government's Music and Dance Scheme

Music education can be expensive but there are schemes and initiatives on offer to help with costs.

If your child has been identified as gifted or talented, they may be eligible for a grant under the government's Music and Dance Scheme, which has been set up to encourage young people.

There are a number of music charities offering awards that can help fund music studies for a talented child, or help in other ways. Awards for Young Musicians is one such charity and its website can direct you to other organisations that can help.

Apply for music lessons

The following link will let you enter details of where you live and then take you to your local authority website where you can find out more about instrumental tuition in your area.

Other arts activities in your area

You can find a wide range of other arts activities in your area on the Prince of Wales Children and the Arts website. All local arts activities including drama, dance, painting and drawing, singing, storytelling and much more are listed.

Follow the link below and enter your postcode or the region you live in, plus the age range of your children, to find out what's on in your area.

Circus skills

Many children love the circus - and now they have a chance to be a part of it. There are several groups across the country who run circus skills courses. The venue depends on the company running the course – from specialised circus training schools, to community circus spaces, schools and church halls.

Access to the arts for disabled children

There are a variety of organisations, charities and support groups dedicated to giving disabled people better access to arts performances and activities. Some organisations specialise in involving people with specific impairments. The following list of useful contacts can help you find out more.

Useful contacts

Additional links

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Plant a tree

Get involved with The Big Tree Plant and make a difference to your neighbourhood

Access keys

If you would like to take part in our website visitor survey, please visit the site and then come back and select this link to take part in the survey.