Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2023

Counselling and other support for your relationship

If you’re having a difficult time with your husband, wife or partner, you could get help to improve your relationship. You may want anonymous support online or you might prefer face-to-face advice. Find out where you can get help in the way you want it.

When advice and counselling may help your relationship

You can get advice online or face-to-face

If you think that you may be able to make things better again, rather than ending your relationship, there are a number of organisations that can help. You can get advice online or face to face.

Some of the services are free, and others you will have to pay for.

If you’re having problems with domestic violence

Domestic violence doesn’t only mean people hitting you. It can also mean any psychological, physical or emotional abuse. If any of these things are happening to you, you can get specialist help and support.

Free relationship advice and support online

Relate offers advice online for people who are married, in a civil partnership or living together. They also offer specialist advice for younger people, older people and people in same-sex relationships.

The Couple Connection website can help you understand your relationship better and give you ideas to improve it. You can also anonymously share your experiences and ideas with other people who are having trouble with their relationship.

2as1 offers online advice and support on relationship issues. It has a particular emphasis on supporting people from ethnic minorities.

Online advice and support for parents

Relate for Parents offers specialist advice on parenting when family relationships are difficult. It has advice for parents, step-parents and grandparents.

The Parent Connection website can give you advice on how to handle problems in your relationship when you’re a parent. It covers solving problems with your partner and your children.

The Family Lives website covers advice and support all aspects of family life, including when relationships aren’t working well.

Online and face-to-face advice for people from ethnic minorities

2as1 specialises in offering relationship help and advice for people from ethnic minorities. It offers free online advice, and online and face-to-face counselling and advice for a fee.

Privately-funded relationship counselling

If you want to use an independent relationship counsellor, you can check if they are registered with the College of Sexual and Relationship Therapists. For a full list of its members, follow the link below.

Additional links

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Access keys