Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Archive brought to you by Cross Stitch UK

Main menu

Tuesday, 2 October 2023

Children and schools abroad

Moving children to schools outside the UK can involve considerable preparation by the parents and a period of adjustment for the child. It can be an unsettling at first, but depending on their age, children generally make friends and adapt to their new school quite quickly.

Finding a school place

not all countries have free state-funded education

You can contact the education authority or schools information service where you are moving to. They can help you understand the choice and application process. You can also get help with what state schools are in the area.

You are likely to find contacts for such information on the government website for that particular country. Or, you can try searching on the internet for state or private schools in the area of your choice. Not all countries have free education funded by the state.

You should find out what education your child will be entitled to. Check whether you need to be a national of the country to qualify and how much you are likely to have to pay. Many countries have English speaking international schools. The pattern of school holidays and daily hours can vary between countries.

Documents needed

For some schools, you will need to provide copies of your child's immunisation certificates when you apply.

A birth certificate or passport with a certified translation in the language of the host country may also be needed. The school should be able to tell you how you can obtain a certified translation.

Adjusting to a new school

The younger your child, the easier it will be for him or her to adjust to going to school in a new country. Coping with a new language and customs will be harder for older children. It is possible for teenagers to adjust, but it may take longer than for younger children. Getting used to a new education system and leaving friends back in the UK are two of the main difficulties for the older child.

Some countries and schools run international exchange programmes for young people. This might be a helpful way for your child to explore their new environment and get to know another country before you move. You can contact the education authority or schools information service in the place you are moving to find out more.

Additional links

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Parenting advice videos

Video advice from Parentchannel on a range of issues

Access keys