Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Archive brought to you by Cross Stitch UK

Main menu

Tuesday, 2 October 2023

Working abroad

If you're moving abroad for work, find out what rights you have under your destination country's employment law. Let your tax office know if you are moving abroad. If you are claiming benefits, talk to your Jobcentre Plus office, Jobcentre or social security office.

Your employment rights can vary when working abroad

If you are going abroad as an employee for a UK-based firm your employment rights may change. You may not have the same employment rights as if you were working in the UK. Requirements for working hours, annual holidays and public holidays can vary.

Practical information about your work abroad

If you are moving abroad for work ask yourself the following questions:

  • do you and your family need work permits, resident permits or visas for the country? In some countries you may be required to register with the local British embassy or consulate once you have moved there
  • is the salary enough, taking into account the cost of living?
  • what are the chances of promotion and salary increases?
  • what currency will you be paid in?
  • if you are going abroad for a firm in the UK, will the employer pay you any allowances and are there any schemes to help if you wish to return to the UK, and does it have any support schemes for a partner or children travelling with you?
  • are there any arrangements for temporary accommodation when you first move?
  • if you have a property to sell in the UK, will your employer be allowing you any time to return to the UK to sign documents and finalise a move abroad?
  • if your job ends and you wish to stay in the country you have been working in, what permits would you and your family require and what are the chances of finding a new job there?


Not all qualifications are recognised across the EU

Not all qualifications are recognised across the EU and EEA, and some professions have employment restrictions. You will be able to check your qualifications against occupation information sheets produced by EU member states. Information sheets allow you to see if your UK qualification is acceptable. Language skills and fluency levels may also be an issue when seeking work.

More useful information

Information is available from the European Commission about moving to another European Union country. You can get help with getting your qualifications recognised, successful job-seeking, paying taxes and your rights. Check the Your Europe website for details. Help is also available from EURES, which is a network of employment advisers throughout the EU.

Additional links

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Parenting advice videos

Video advice from Parentchannel on a range of issues

Access keys

If you would like to take part in our website visitor survey, please visit the site and then come back and select this link to take part in the survey.