Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Archive brought to you by Cross Stitch UK

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2023

Apply for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit (form HCTB1)

Housing Benefit provides help with paying rent and Council Tax Benefit provides help with your council tax, if you are on a low income. This online service is available for England, Scotland and Wales only.


The Housing Benefit page gives information on who can claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit, and provides a downloadable claim form. The form, together with any evidence to support your claim will need to be returned to your local council.

To access the form you will need a copy of Adobe Reader. Information on how to download this for free is available on the right panel of this page.

More useful links

Additional links

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Claim Jobseeker's Allowance online

Benefits advice online

Get benefits advice by using this online tool to answer questions about your situation

Access keys