Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Archive brought to you by Cross Stitch UK

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2023

Housing options and your local council

Your local council can tell you about its services and about care homes and supported or sheltered housing in your area. Your local council should also have a list of housing association properties in your area, and can advise you which ones may be suitable.

Sheltered housing

Sheltered housing properties have generally been built for older people and/or disabled people. The accommodation is usually self-contained flats or bungalows. They often have an alarm call system and a warden who visits regularly, or lives on the premises.

Housing association accommodation

Housing associations offer 'not for profit' social housing and normally have a variety of housing. Some of it is specially designed for people with physical disabilities. Housing associations may also be able to adapt their properties to meet their tenants' needs, including the need for sheltered housing.

Council homes

Your local council should have a stock of adapted properties to meet specific needs. Whenever possible the council tries to let these properties to people who need them after assessment from an occupational therapist.

Your local council may also be able to adapt council properties to meet the needs of tenants and their families.

Moving house

If your current property no longer suits your needs, you may decide to move to a more suitable home. If you privately rent or live in council housing, a local council housing officer may be able to offer you a transfer or re-housing.

You may be able to stay in your current home by making some adaptations or installing equipment.

Reporting problems with a council service

If you have a problem with a council service, you should first complain to the council.

If you're still not satisfied, the Local Government Ombudsman (LGO) may be able to help. The LGO usually only considers your complaint after it has been looked at under the local council's complaints procedure.

Additional links

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Access keys

If you would like to take part in our website visitor survey, please visit the site and then come back and select this link to take part in the survey.