Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Archive brought to you by Cross Stitch UK

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2023

Disabled Facilities Grants - how to apply

A Disabled Facilities Grant helps towards the cost of adapting your home to enable you to continue to live there. You get them from your local council. Find out how to apply and get planning permission and how to appeal if your application is unsuccessful.

How to apply

Applicants for a Disabled Facilities Grant need to be assessed by an Occupational Therapist (OT). This is so the local authority can make a decision about whether you're eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant. If the OT recommends an adaptation then a recommendation will be passed to the local authority. The local authority will then consider whether you meet the criteria for a disabled facilities grant.

You can also contact the housing or environmental health department of your local council and ask them to send you an application form.

You must apply for a grant before you start any work. You won't normally get any grant if you start work before the council approves the application.

The local council must notify you of the result of your application, in writing, within six months of the date of application.

Applying for a Disabled Facilities Grant

The decision to award a Disabled Facilities Grant is made by your local council. The following link will let you enter details of where you live and then take you to your local council website.

Planning and building regulations approval

As with any building works, you'll need to apply separately for any required planning permission or building regulations approval.

It is important to ensure that the work gets done properly. For major work, the council may ask you to employ a qualified architect or surveyor to plan and oversee the work. If you get a grant, you can use it towards the cost of their fees.

Your local council has no responsibility for the standard of work carried out by a builder. If there are any problems with the standard of work, you will have to deal with them yourself. There are tips about finding a good builder, plumber etc. in the home and community section of this website.

How is the grant paid?

The grant is sometimes paid in instalments, and sometimes in full on completion of the work. The council may pay the contractor directly, or give you a cheque to pass on. They will agree this with you at the outset.

Payments are made:

  • when the council is satisfied that the work (or phase of work) has been completed to their satisfaction and in accordance with the grant approval
  • on presentation of an acceptable invoice, demand or receipt for payment of works

If the work was carried out by the applicant or a relative, only invoices for materials or services bought are acceptable.

How to appeal

If you are refused a Disabled Facilities Grant, or are unhappy with the amount you have been awarded, you can appeal against the decision. Ask your local council for their appeals and complaints procedure.

If, after having appealed to the council, you are still not happy with the outcome, you may register your complaint with the Local Government Ombudsman.

General enquiries

To make or enquire about an application, please contact your local council.

For general policy enquiries about Disabled Facilities Grants you can contact the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG).

Telephone: 0303 444 0000


You can also find out more about Disabled Facilities Grants on the DCLG website.

Access keys

If you would like to take part in our website visitor survey, please visit the site and then come back and select this link to take part in the survey.