Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Archive brought to you by Cross Stitch UK

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2023

Reporting a road spillage

Spillages on roads can cause serious accidents for all highway users. Find out who is responsible for clearing up a road spillage and how to report a road spillage offender.

Reporting an offender

If you have details of someone who has caused a road spillage, you can report this to your local council.

When reporting an offender, provide as much information as possible, including:

  • the date
  • vehicle registration
  • description of spillage

Who is responsible for clearing up a road spillage?

Call the Highways Agency on 0300 123 5000 to report safety issues on the motorway.

Your local council is responsible for clearing up road spillages. If an incident happens outside of usual office hours, your council's highways department may run an out-of-hours service to provide emergency cover. For further information, contact your local council.

Oil and diesel spillages may be potentially hazardous. For these and other substances of a hazardous nature, the local police and fire service may also be involved in the incident and road closures may be required.

Road spillages on motorways are very hazardous and should be reported to the Highways Agency.

Useful contacts

Additional links

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Access keys