Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Archive brought to you by Cross Stitch UK

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2023

Legal obligations of drivers and keepers of vehicles

There are duties and obligations you must meet before driving or keeping a vehicle on the road. You must also tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) of any changes to your personal or vehicle details.

Before you drive or ride

To drive or ride a vehicle or motorcycle you must:

  • hold the appropriate driving licence for the vehicle being driven
  • meet driver minimum age requirements
  • meet the legal eyesight standards

As a learner driver you must:

  • be supervised by a qualified driver (not if riding a motorcycle)
  • display L plates (or L or D plates in Wales)

Before taking a vehicle on the road

The vehicle must:

  • be registered with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)
  • have a valid vehicle tax disc
  • hold a current test certificate (if this is required)

You must:

  • have the minimum of third party insurance which covers your use of the vehicle

Tell DVLA of changes

You must tell the DVLA if you:

  • change your address and or name
  • make any alterations to your vehicle
  • sell your vehicle
  • develop or have a medical condition

Driving larger vehicles or buses

There are higher eyesight and medical standards for driving larger vehicles. You must also notify the DVLA if you have convictions relating to your driving conduct or if you have convictions not relating to driving if you are the holder of a passenger carrying vehicle.

Additional links

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Access keys

If you would like to take part in our website visitor survey, please visit the site and then come back and select this link to take part in the survey.