Welcome to the DVLA's Vehicle online service.
You can apply for a new tax disc or, if you intend to take the vehicle off the road, declare Statutory Off Road Notification, known as SORN, directly over the internet. You can also use the vehicle enquiry service to check what information DVLA holds on its database about a vehicle.
How does it work?
  • Tell DVLA the vehicle. You will need either the 16 digit reference number shown on your renewal reminder, or the 11 digit reference number from your registration document or certificate (also known as the Logbook) and your vehicle registration mark (number plate).
  • For a new tax disc DVLA checks the vehicle is insured and, if applicable has an electronic MOT test certificate or GVT certificate or entitlement to disability exemption. How does DVLA check Insurance, electronic MOT test certificates and GVT certificates? Opens a new window
  • You choose the tax disc you want, 6 or 12 months, and then enter your payment card details. Note: an additional charge of £2.50 will be added to the amount payable if you use a credit card. Why is there an additional charge on credit cards? Opens a new window
  • You should receive the new tax disc in the post within 5 working days. If you provide a valid email address we will send an email to confirm your tax/SORN transaction. Which address are they sent to? Opens a new window
  • Payments will be processed in line with the terms and conditions as stated.