Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2023

Problems with your MOT test or certificate

If you are unhappy with the way your MOT test was carried out, or you have lost or damaged your certificate, you’ll need to contact your MOT test station or local Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) office.

What to do if you disagree with your test result

If you disagree with your MOT test results, you’ll need to discuss them with an MOT test station representative before anyone carries out repairs to the vehicle.

Appealing against a failed test result

If you want to appeal against a failed test result, then you’ll need to complete an appeal form ‘VT17’ available from any MOT test station, online or by ringing VOSA on 0300 123 9000.

Your appeal must be received within 14 working days of the test, and VOSA will need a full test fee from you. VOSA will then offer you an appointment within five days to recheck your vehicle.

If your appeal is successful, then some or all of the test fee will be refunded to you.

What to do if you think your car has passed incorrectly

These cases usually relate to recently bought vehicles and you should let VOSA know as soon as possible.

Subject to acceptance of the complaint, VOSA will offer an appointment within five working days to recheck your vehicle without charge, provided:

  • no more than three months has passed since the MOT test for a corrosion related problem
  • no more than 28 days has passed with other defects

The address of your local VOSA office is displayed in the MOT test station or can be obtained from VOSA on 0300 123 9000.

VOSA provide this service as a means of monitoring the MOT Scheme and road safety standards. VOSA can’t seek redress or compensation on your behalf – although it’s open to you to take action in conjunction with your local Trading Standards department, take out proceedings personally, or refer the matter to the Police.

VOSA will supply you with the inspection report listing any vehicle defects and advisory items following the check of the vehicle. Any subsequent action that VOSA may decide to take against the testing station that tested your vehicle will be at VOSA’s discretion and should have no bearing on any action you may decide to take.

What to do if you think your MOT certificate isn’t genuine

You can verify that your MOT certificate is genuine online by checking the MOT status. You’ll also be able to check the MOT history of your car (subject to certain conditions).

If you have lost or damaged your test certificate

You may purchase a duplicate test certificate from any MOT test station.

However, you must demonstrate you have the right to have a duplicate document. You must provide the test number from the original MOT certificate or the unique number from the vehicle registration certificate (V5C), as well as the vehicle registration number. Alternatively you can take the vehicle to the original MOT test station as to satisfy this proof.

The maximum fee for a duplicate certificate is £10 or half the test fee if this is less.

If you are unhappy with your MOT service

If you are unhappy with the way your test was carried out please let VOSA know as it helps to know that MOT test stations are providing a good service. Contact the Area Manager at your local VOSA office. The address is shown on the Fees and Appeals poster displayed at your MOT test station or you can ring VOSA on 0300 123 9000.

Additional links

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

70 Plus - Need to renew your driving licence?

Apply online to renew your driving licence using DVLA's free of charge secure online service

Access keys

If you would like to take part in our website visitor survey, please visit the site and then come back and select this link to take part in the survey.