Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2023

Exemptions from paying vehicle tax

Vehicles that are exempt from vehicle tax still need to display a valid tax disc. When taxing your vehicle a ‘free’ tax disc is issued and will need to be renewed each year. Find out if your vehicle is exempt from vehicle tax.

List of vehicles exempt from vehicle tax

Vehicles used by disabled drivers

If you’re a disabled person, you may not need to pay vehicle tax if you get certain benefits. You may be able to tax your vehicle in the ‘disabled’ tax class.

Mobility scooters, powered wheel chairs and invalid carriages

Used on the road with a maximum speed of eight miles per hour and fitted with a device to limit the speed to four miles per hour on footways will need to be taxed in the disabled tax class.

Old vehicles constructed before 1 January 2024 (historic vehicles)

If your vehicle was constructed before 1 January 1973, you could tax it in the 'historic vehicle' tax class. Further information can be found on leaflet INF34.

Electric vehicles

Vehicles run by electricity will need to be taxed in the ‘electric vehicle’ tax class. The electricity must come from an external source or an electric storage battery, which is not connected to any source of power when the vehicle is moving.

Mowing machines

A mowing machine will need to be taxed in the 'mowing machine' tax class. The machine must be designed and constructed for the purpose of cutting grass only.

Steam vehicles

All steam-powered vehicles must be taxed in the ‘steam propelled’ tax class.

Agricultural, horticultural and forestry vehicles

Vehicles used solely for the purpose of agriculture, horticulture and forestry are exempt from vehicle tax.

How to tax your vehicle in the exempt tax class

You can change to the exempt tax class at your nearest Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) local office.

Renewing your ‘free’ tax disc

DVLA will send you a V11 reminder to renew your tax each year.

Additional links

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Access keys

If you would like to take part in our website visitor survey, please visit the site and then come back and select this link to take part in the survey.