Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2023

Transferring a registration mark and how to apply

As the registered keeper of your vehicle, you can apply to transfer the registration number from your vehicle to another vehicle in your name, to a vehicle you are buying, or to someone else’s vehicle.

Conditions for transferring a registration number

You can transfer your vehicle registration number:

  • from your vehicle to another one in your name
  • to a vehicle you’re buying
  • to someone else’s vehicle

You can’t transfer a registration number:

  • starting with ‘Q’ or ‘NIQ’ for Northern Ireland registered vehicles
  • if it will make the vehicle it’s being transferred to look younger

To transfer the registration number, both vehicles must be:

  • registered at the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)
  • available for inspection
  • of a type that needs an MOT or heavy goods vehicle (HGV) test certificate
  • currently taxed

However, if the vehicle that currently has the registration number is not taxed, you can still apply to transfer provided:

  • there is no break between the date the tax disc runs out and the start of the SORN
  • the tax disc run out no more than 12 months before the date you apply

Northern Ireland registered number

You can transfer a Northern Ireland registration number between vehicles registered at DVLA, Swansea and the Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA), Northern Ireland. Both vehicles must meet the conditions to transfer a registration number. Contact the DVA for further information.

How to apply

You will need to:

  • complete a V317 ‘application to transfer or retain a vehicle registration number’ - if the number is being transferred to someone else’s vehicle, then both registered keepers must complete the application
  • enclose the £80 transfer fee

Also enclose for both vehicles:

  • the registration certificate or the new keeper supplement with a completed V62 ‘application for a vehicle registration certificate V5C'
  • a test certificate – needed for cars and motorcycles over three years old, and heavy goods vehicles over one year old

If the new keepers supplement has been stamped by a DVLA local office you’ll need to complete a V62 ‘application for a vehicle registration certificate V5C' before you can apply.

If either vehicle needs taxing, enclose:

  • a completed V10 ‘application for a tax disc’ or the V11 reminder
  • a certificate of insurance or valid cover for the vehicle
  • the payment of vehicle tax

Send the completed application to your nearest DVLA local office.

Registering a vehicle or brand new vehicles

If you’re registering a vehicle yourself, you’ll need to provide documentation to confirm your identity with your application. If buying a brand new vehicle, you’ll need to provide identity documentation to the dealer.

What happens next

The DVLA local office may need to inspect both vehicles and will contact you to arrange an appointment. If they don’t need to inspect, they’ll approve your application within two weeks.

On approving your application, the DVLA local office will send you:

  • a confirmation letter to advise the replacement registration number
  • new tax discs for both vehicles showing the new and replacement registration numbers
  • an authorisation letter (V948) to get your number plates made up
  • a replacement MOT test certificate for cars and motorcycles over three years old, and heavy goods vehicles over one year old

Please note the MOT test certificate will no longer be printed in green, this will be replaced by a black text on a white background.

Allow at least two weeks, after sending your application, before contacting DVLA customer enquiries if you don’t receive these documents.

DVLA, Swansea will send new registration certificates for both vehicles showing the new and replacement registration numbers. These should arrive within four weeks of the confirmation letter. It can take up to six weeks if a V62 application was used to support the application.

You must not sell or get rid of your vehicle until you receive a new registration certificate, as the new keeper will be entitled to keep the registration number if they want to.

As the registered keeper you are responsible for informing your insurance provider of your new registration number.

More useful links

Further advice about transferring a registration number.

Additional links

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Exchange your paper driving licence online

Apply to exchange your paper licence for a new photocard licence using DVLA's secure online service

Access keys

If you would like to take part in our website visitor survey, please visit the site and then come back and select this link to take part in the survey.