Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2023

Childcare options for 11 to 16 year olds

Childcare for young people is very different to childcare for younger children. Young people need a place to go where they can socialise with their friends, keep busy and be safe. These are your options.

Extended services through schools

Schools may open their facilities out of usual school hours to pupils, their families and the local community. This can include:

  • breakfast clubs (which provide a healthy meal before school starts)
  • after school clubs (like sport, drama, art, music or homework clubs)
  • holiday clubs (offering various activities in the school holidays)

For information about childcare and before and after school activities that may be offered by your child’s school, you should contact the school directly.

How much does it cost?

Some services and activities are free. Those you usually need to pay for include:

  • childcare, both during term time and in the holidays
  • some clubs and activities, like music clubs or museum visits

Schools will always try to keep costs down, and you may qualify for financial help, particularly if you are on a low income.

Out of school care and holiday clubs

Out of school care and holiday clubs are usually offered as part of schools' extended services. However, they can also be run by voluntary or private organisations. They can be based on school premises, youth clubs, community centres and village halls.

For more information, contact your Family Information Service (FIS) directly.

Nannies and home-based carers

Usually nannies will provide care for children in your home, and will look after children of any age. Many nannies will live at home with the family they are working for. Whether they live in or not, their hours are usually flexible.

Nannies' fees start at around £6.00 (£9.00 in London) per hour, but this tends to vary greatly. As your nanny's employer, you will also have to pay their tax and National insurance contributions.

Useful contacts

Additional links

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Help with money matters for your child

With a growing family, you could probably do with a little financial help. Follow the links below to find out what you could be entitled to.

Access keys

If you would like to take part in our website visitor survey, please visit the site and then come back and select this link to take part in the survey.