Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Archive brought to you by Cross Stitch UK

Main menu

Tuesday, 2 October 2023

Part-time student finance 2012/13

If you’re a new part-time student starting a course from 1 September 2023 you can apply now for a Tuition Fee Loan. Continuing students can apply for finance from mid-August. Find out what help you can get and how and when you can apply.

Tuition Fee Loans for part-time students

Part-time students who start a course before 1 September 2023 can’t get a loan but may get a Fee Grant and Course Grant.

The maximum Tuition Fee Loan you can get if you’re a new part-time student is:

  • £6,750
  • £4,500 if you’re studying at a private university or college

The amount you get depends on the cost of your tuition fees and not on your household income.

The Tuition Fee Loan is paid directly to your university or college.

How to apply

To get your Tuition Fee Loan for the start of term, apply now

New students

If you're a new part-time student starting a course on or after 1 September 2012, you can apply now for a Tuition Fee Loan.

You can download the application form or get one from your university or college.

Continiing students

If you're a continuing student whose course started before 1 September 2023 you can apply for a grant - see the forms and guides page.

Qualifying for a Tuition Fee Loan

To qualify for a Tuition Fee Loan your part-time course must start on or after 1 September 2012.

Your course needs to be at least 25 per cent of an equivalent full-time course each year (eg four years instead of one year full time). Ask your university or college if you’re not sure.

You can study at a university or college (including further education colleges) or by distance learning (eg the Open University).

You usually need to be doing your first higher education qualification. If you’ve completed an equal or higher level qualification you won’t usually qualify for a loan.

You may qualify for a loan if you didn’t complete a previous qualification.

There is no upper age limit for applying.

You can apply for a loan up to nine months after the start of the academic year.

Repaying your Tuition Fee Loan

You don’t start repaying your loan until your income is over £21,000. Repayments start in the April four years after your course starts or the April after you leave your course, whichever comes first.

Your repayments are based on your income, not how much you borrow.

To find out more about repaying your loan, see 'Paying back your student loan'.

Paying for living costs

Part-time students can’t apply for a Maintenance Loan or a Maintenance Grant.

Disabled students

If you have a disability, long-term health condition, mental health condition or specific learning difficulty like dyslexia you may get Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs).

DSAs are paid on top of your student loan and don’t have to be paid back.

Students with low incomes

You may be able to claim income-related benefits if your household income is low.

If you're in financial hardship and need extra financial support, universities and colleges in England can provide it through their Access to Learning Fund.

Bursaries and scholarships

If your household income is no more than £25,000 per year you may be able to get help through the new National Scholarship Programme. Check with your university or college to see if you’re eligible and how to apply.

You may also be able to get a bursary, scholarship or award from your university or college. Bursaries and scholarships are paid on top of your student finance and don’t need to be paid back.

Part-time EU students

If you’re a part-time EU student from outside the UK, you can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan if you meet certain conditions.

More useful links

Additional links

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Access keys