Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Archive brought to you by Cross Stitch UK

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2023

Student finance: evidence items parents or partners submit

If you’re the parent or partner of a student applying for finance you may need to submit evidence along with their application. This may be evidence of your income or your circumstances. Find out what evidence you need to submit.

What types of finance require parent or partner evidence?

Send your evidence to:

Student Finance England
PO Box 210

For all income-assessed finance (grants, bursaries and the full Maintenance Loan), parents or partners need to give evidence of their income and circumstances.

When parents submit evidence

Parents send in evidence if a student is classed as ‘dependent’. Students under 25 are usually classed as ‘dependent’, even if they don’t live with their parents.

When partners submit evidence

Partners of students send in evidence if a student is classed as ‘independent’ and they’re living together. Students are usually classed as ‘independent’ if they’re over 25 or if they can provide proof of their independent status. See ‘Evidence students need to submit’ for details.

What evidence parents or partners submit?

All parents or partners need to give evidence of:

  • earned income
  • unearned income, such as income from savings and investments

Depending on their circumstances, parents or partners may also need to give evidence of:

  • divorce or separation
  • dependent children
  • outgoings

Evidence of earned income

Parents and partners provide financial details for the 2010-11 tax year if they’re supporting a 2012/13 application and details for the 2009-10 tax year if they're supporting a 2011/12 application.

In most cases, income evidence for new student applications in 2011/12 and 2012/13 can be collected through a parents’ or partner’s National Insurance number if they submit their details online.

If it’s not possible to work out your income online you may need to send photocopies of your:

  • P60
  • pay slips
  • tax return

If you’re expecting a 15 per cent drop or more in your income, you can ask to be assessed on the current tax year. The current year income assessment form should be completed along with the online application. The form for 2012/13 will be available in April 2012.

Evidence from unearned income

If you have income that’s not earned you may need to send evidence from the previous tax year (2010-11 for 2012/13 applications and 2009-10 for 2011/12).

Unearned income includes:

  • interest from savings
  • benefits
  • pensions
  • rent from property or a room

If you’re asked to send evidence of unearned income this can include photocopies of the following:

  • self assessment tax return
  • statements showing interest or investments
  • income details from an accountant
  • pension book or letter
  • P60s
  • benefit book (first three pages) or official letter

Evidence if you’re divorced or separated

If you’re divorced or separated, you need to submit a clear copy of one of the following:

  • divorce - Decree Nisi, Decree Absolute
  • dissolution of a civil partnership - civil partnership dissolution order
  • confirmation from a solicitor of your marital status
  • Council Tax bill showing the 25 per cent discount for single occupancy (as evidence that you are now separated)

If you are married or living with a partner you don’t need to send evidence of this.

Evidence of your dependent children

If you have dependent children (other than the student you are supporting), you should declare this but do not need to send any evidence.

Additional links

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Access keys