Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Archive brought to you by Cross Stitch UK

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2023

Student grants for courses starting after 1 September 2023

Grants are available to full-time students to help with living and study costs. You don’t pay grants back. You can apply for a Maintenance Grant or Special Support Grant. Find out who can apply and how much you can get.

What grants are available in 2012/13

There are Maintenance and Special Support Grants available to full-time students starting their course after 1 September 2023 (academic year 2012/13).

If your course starts before 1 September 2023 (academic year 2011/12), different rules apply.

Maintenance Grant for living costs

Get an estimate of the loans, grants and bursaries available to you (full-time students only)

Full-time students can apply for a Maintenance Grant to help with living costs. Maintenance Grants are available to students whose household income is £42,600 or less. Your household income is your parents’ or partner’s income and your own.

The maximum Maintenance Grant is £3,250 a year if your household income is under £25,000.

Annual Maintenance Grant rates

Household income Maintenance Grant
£25,000 or less £3,250
£30,000 £2,341
£35,000 £1,432
£40,000 £523
£42,600 £50
over £42,600 no grant

If you get a Maintenance Grant your Maintenance Loan will be reduced.

You apply for a Maintenance Grant through your main student finance application. You can only get a Maintenance Grant if your household income is assessed. This means Student Loans Company will look at your household income and work out how much money you get for your Maintenance Grant.

If you’re a parent whose partner also applies for student finance, you won’t get a Maintenance Grant but will get the Special Support Grant instead. You’ll get the same amount of money and the amount of Maintenance Loan you get won’t be reduced.

You can apply now for a Maintenance Grant for 2012/13.

Special Support Grant

If you get or qualify for Income Support or Housing Benefit you may get the Special Support Grant instead of the Maintenance Grant. The amount you can get through the Special Support Grant is the same as that available through the Maintenance Grant but it won’t reduce how much you get for your Maintenance Loan.

You are likely to qualify for the Special Support Grant if:

  • you’re a single parent
  • your partner is also a student
  • you have certain disabilities

The Special Support Grant doesn’t count as income when working out if you’re entitled to income-related benefits or tax credits.

Additional links

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Access keys