Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Archive brought to you by Cross Stitch UK

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2023

'Permitted Work' - working while claiming Employment and Support Allowance

You can do some limited work while claiming Employment and Support Allowance. There are rules about what work you can do and how many hours you can work. You may have to pay Income Tax on your earnings.

About Permitted Work

Generally, you are not allowed to work while you are getting Employment and Support Allowance because of an illness or disability.

You may be able to do some types of work and within certain limits. This is called 'Permitted Work' and it allows you to test your own capacity for doing some work and perhaps gain new skills.

Although you do not need permission to do Permitted Work, you must check that the work you want to do is allowed under the Permitted Work rules. You should discuss this with your personal adviser.

You do not need approval from your doctor or have to have a medical assessment just because you are doing Permitted Work. If a medical assessment is due as part of your ongoing benefits-related review, it will go ahead as planned.

Permitted Work is a benefit arrangement - employers do not offer 'permitted work'.

The Permitted Work rules

Under the Permitted Work rules you can:

  • work for less than 16 hours a week on average, with earnings up to £99.50 a week for 52 weeks
  • work for less than 16 hours a week, on average, with earnings up to £99.50 a week if you are in the Support Group of the main phase of Employment and Support Allowance
  • work and earn up to £20 a week, at any time, for as long as you are receiving Employment and Support Allowance
  • do Supported Permitted Work and earn up to £99.50 a week for as long as you are receiving Employment and Support Allowance, provided you continue to satisfy the Supported Permitted Work criteria

Supported Permitted Work means work that is supervised by someone who is employed by a public or local council or a voluntary organisation, and whose job it is to arrange work for disabled people. This could be work done in the community or in a sheltered workshop. It also includes work as part of a hospital treatment programme.

Income Tax

If you start Permitted Work, you may have to pay tax on your extra income. You must notify HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) as soon as you start work.

Effect on other benefits

If you get Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit and you do Permitted Work, any earnings over £20 may be taken into account when assessing these benefits.

Your personal adviser can give you more information about Permitted Work.

Useful contacts

Additional links

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Access keys