Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Archive brought to you by Cross Stitch UK

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2023

How to notify DVLA if you sell your vehicle

You must notify the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) immediately of the exact date of sale or transfer of your vehicle using the registration document or certificate. You and the buyer should follow the procedures correctly or you will remain liable for the vehicle until DVLA records have been updated.

What you and the buyer need to do

You should notify DVLA immediately using the appropriate section of the registration document or certificate. You should also keep a separate note of the buyer's name and address details.

If you are selling to a motor trader you can find more information using the link below.

Registration certificate V5C

If you have a registration certificate you must complete section 6 'new keeper or new name/new address details' of the V5C. Both you and the buyer must sign section 8 and send the V5C immediately to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA. You must also give the buyer the properly completed V5C/2 section.

If you sell the vehicle to a 'motor trader' (see notes on back of the V5C/3 for definition) you must complete the V5C/3 section.

You must also obtain the details and signature of the motor trader and post it to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BD. Don’t rely on anyone else to send it in. Both the V5C and V5C/2 sections (uncompleted) should then be passed to the trader. The registration certificate has accompanying guidance notes INS 160. These notes are available for download below.

Remove your tax disc from the vehicle and you can apply for a refund of vehicle tax for complete calendar months remaining on the tax disc. DVLA cannot pay your refund until notification that you have sold/transferred your vehicle has been received.

If you no longer have your registration certificate V5C

If you don't have a registration certificate you can still tell DVLA that you no longer have the vehicle.

To do this you will need to write to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AR giving the:

  • vehicle registration mark
  • make and model
  • exact date of sale
  • name and address of the new keeper

However, note that DVLA records won’t be complete until the new keeper tells DVLA in writing. Until they do, the police may need to contact you if they have to make enquiries about the vehicle.

What happens next

Once you have informed DVLA, you will receive an automatic acknowledgement letter, within four weeks, confirming the discharge of liability for your vehicle. Please allow four weeks to receive the letter before contacting the DVLA.

Personalised registration on your vehicle

You’ll need to transfer or retain your personalised registration before you sell the vehicle. If you don’t, you’ll lose your entitlement to the registration number.

More useful links

Additional links

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Access keys

If you would like to take part in our website visitor survey, please visit the site and then come back and select this link to take part in the survey.