Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Tuesday, 2 October 2023

Renewing your driving licence at 70 plus

Your driving licence entitlement will expire when you reach the age of 70 and if you want to continue to drive, the entitlement will need to be renewed by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). Your renewed licence will normally be valid for three years.

Apply online

You can renew your driving licence using DVLA’s secure online service, however, you won't be able to renew your C1 (medium size vehicles) and or D1 (minibus) entitlement. To renew these entitlements you can apply by post or use the premium checking service.

Photocard licence holders

DVLA will send you, 90 days before your 70th birthday, a D46P ‘application for renewal of a driving licence'.

You’ll need to:

  • complete the D46P form
  • send it to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1AA
  • return your photocard driving licence and counterpart

A message on your D46P form will let you know if your photo is due for renewal and you’ll need to include a new passport type photo.

You’ll also need to enclose original identity documentation if your name has changed since your last licence was issued.

No fee is needed with this application.

Renewing without a D46P ‘application for renewal’

If, for any reason, you don’t receive the reminder application forms you can use the D1 ‘application for a driving licence’. This form is available from the DVLA form ordering service and Post Office® branches.

You’ll also need to check the photo on your licence to be sure that it isn’t about to expire. The expiry date of your photo is shown in section 4b on the front of your driving licence.

Paper licence holders

DVLA will send you a D46P form, 90 days before your 70th birthday.

You’ll need to:

  • complete the D46P form
  • enclose original documentation confirming your identity
  • include a passport type colour photograph
  • send your application and documents to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1AA or you can use the premium checking service at selected Post Office® branches or DVLA local offices

You can also use a D1 form if you don’t receive the D46P in the post.

Renewing your C1 or D1 entitlement

If you want to renew your C1 or D1 entitlement, you will need to complete an 'Application for a lorry or bus driving licence' (D2). This applies whether you previously held full, restricted or voluntary entitlement.

You must also provide a Medical Examination Report’ (D4).Your doctor will charge you for this service. The D2 and D4 forms are available from DVLA local offices, the Vehicle Operator Services Agency, the Driving Standards Agency, Traffic Area Offices and LGV/PCV training schools.

When to expect your licence

DVLA aims to deliver your new driving licence to you within three weeks of receiving your application. It'll take longer if they have to check your health or personal details. Allow at least three weeks for your driving licence to arrive before contacting DVLA.

When your licence is issued it'll have a number of added security features. One of the main differences is a laser engraved black and white photograph.

Driving before your licence is returned

Once DVLA has received your valid application you can drive before you receive your licence as long as you:

  • have held a Great Britain or Northern Ireland licence issued since 1 January 2024 or another exchangeable licence
  • aren't disqualified from driving
  • haven't been refused a licence for medical reasons or for failing to comply with medical enquiries
  • wouldn't be refused a licence for medical reasons (if in doubt, check with your doctor)
  • keep to any special conditions which apply to the licence

Additional links

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Get Highway Code reminders

Get reminders about the Highway Code by following it on Twitter and Facebook

Access keys

If you would like to take part in our website visitor survey, please visit the site and then come back and select this link to take part in the survey.