Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2023

Renewing your driving licence entitlement for larger vehicles, minibuses or buses at 45 or 65

Your entitlement to drive lorries, minibuses or buses is valid until your 45th birthday. After that, you’ll need to renew your entitlement every five years until you are 65. After the age of 65 you have to renew your licence every year.

Changes to driving licence rules for bus and lorry drivers

From 19 January 2013, driving licence rules will be changing for bus and lorry drivers. To find out more about the changes, follow the link below.

How to renew your entitlement

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) will send you, 56 days before the expiry of your driving entitlement, a D47P ‘application for renewal of lorry and bus entitlement’ and a D4 ‘medical examination report’.

Photocard driving licence holder

You’ll need to:

  • complete the D47P form
  • ask a doctor to complete the D4 form - the doctor will normally charge you for completing the report and those registered for VAT are also required to charge an additional 20 per cent on top of their fee
  • send the completed forms to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1BR

A message on your D47P form will tell you if your photo is due for renewal, in which case you’ll need to include a new passport type photo and the fee of £20.00. You only need to provide the fee if your photo needs renewing.

If your name has changed you’ll also need to send (along with the above):

  • a completed D2 ‘application for a large goods vehicle (LGV) or passenger carrying vehicle (PCV) driving licence’ available from the DVLA form ordering service
  • original documentation confirming your change of name

Renewing without a D47P ‘application for renewal of lorry and bus entitlement’

If, for any reason, you don’t receive the reminder application forms you can complete a D2 with a D4, available from the DVLA form ordering service.

You’ll also need to check the expiry date of your photo on your driving licence. If your photo is due to expire very soon, it’ll need to be renewed before the date of expiry. The expiry date of your photo is shown in section 4b on the front of your driving licence.

Paper driving licence holder

You’ll need to:

  • complete the D47P and D4 forms
  • send original documents confirming your identity
  • enclose a passport type photograph
  • send your forms, documents and photograph to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1BR or you can use the premium checking service at selected Post Office® branches or DVLA local offices

You can also use a D2 form with the D4, if you don’t receive the D47P form in the post. No fee is needed with this application.

When to expect your licence

DVLA aims to deliver your driving licence to you within three weeks of receiving your application. It'll take longer if your health or personal details have to be checked.

When your licence is issued it'll have a number of added security features. One of the main differences is a laser engraved black and white photograph.

Driving before your licence is returned

Once DVLA has received your valid application you can drive before you receive your licence as long as you:

  • have held a Great Britain or Northern Ireland licence issued since 1 January 2024 or another exchangeable licence
  • aren't disqualified from driving (the traffic commissioner for your area will decide whether to grant your entitlement to drive these vehicles)
  • haven't been refused a licence for medical reasons or for failing to comply with medical enquiries
  • wouldn't be refused a licence for medical reasons (if in doubt, check with your doctor)
  • keep to any special conditions which apply to the licence

More useful links

You must tell the DVLA if you have ever had, or currently suffer from a medical condition that may affect your driving.

If you are applying for or currently hold a LGV or PCV driving licence you will have to meet a higher standard of conduct.

Additional links

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Get Highway Code reminders

Get reminders about the Highway Code by following it on Twitter and Facebook

Access keys

If you would like to take part in our website visitor survey, please visit the site and then come back and select this link to take part in the survey.