Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2023

Insurance and MOT needed to tax your vehicle

Before you can tax your vehicle you must have suitable insurance cover in place and if needed, the vehicle must be MOT tested. The wrong insurance cover, an overdue MOT, insurance certificates that are incorrect, misplaced or late arriving, can stop you from taxing your vehicle on time.

Insurance cover needed to tax your vehicle

In order to tax your vehicle, you must have insurance cover that:

  • covers you against third party claims for death or injury and damage to property caused by using the vehicle
  • covers your use of the vehicle for taxing purposes
  • is valid on the day the tax disc comes into force

The insurance policy for your vehicle may allow you to drive any other vehicle with the owner’s permission. However, your policy can’t be used as evidence of suitable insurance to tax any other vehicle.

If your insurance cover for taxing purposes isn’t clear, you may need to provide additional evidence. Please contact your insurance company for advice.

Insurance certificates and cover notes

These are usually a printed or laser-printed document, or a plastic credit card style document.

Insurance certificates downloaded directly from the internet by the policy holder are acceptable from 30 April 2023 (this applies to GB only). Fax copies are also acceptable.

The following documents aren't acceptable:

  • policy schedule
  • renewal notice
  • receipt for payment
  • amended certificate or cover note - unless stamped or initialled by the insurer
  • ‘legal protection’ policy certificates
  • foreign certificates
  • photocopies
  • Green Card (International Motor Insurance Card)

Lost, stolen or damaged insurance certificate

Get a duplicate insurance certificate or cover note from your insurance company.

Waiting for your insurance certificate to arrive in the post or update online

You can't tax your vehicle until your insurance certificate arrives or your insurance cover for your vehicle has been updated on the Motor Insurance Database. You must keep your vehicle off the road in the meantime.

If you are taxing your vehicle using the DVLA’s vehicle online service, then you’ll need to wait until MID has updated before applying. You can check online to see if your insurance has updated.

If you want to tax your vehicle at a DVLA local office or Post Office® branch, you’ll need to take your insurance certificate.

MOT due dates

An MOT test is needed every year for:

  • cars, motorcycles, motor caravans and light goods vehicles that are more than three years old
  • passenger carrying vehicles with more than eight seats and taxis (not including private hire vehicles) that are more than one year old

Find out when your MOT is due

You can check the expiry date of your current MOT online by following the link below.

MOT test certificate

You must produce an MOT test certificate that’s valid on the day the tax disc comes into force. The certificate must be original, a photocopy is not acceptable.

Lost, stolen or damaged MOT certificate

Get a duplicate from any MOT testing station for the fee of £10. You’ll need to provide the vehicle registration mark and reference number shown on your registration certificate (V5C).

Claim exemption from MOT testing

If your vehicle is exempt from MOT testing, you’ll need to fill in form V112 ‘Claim for exemption from MOT testing’. You will then be able to produce the form V112 instead of the MOT certificate. A list of exempt vehicles is shown on the V112 form.

MOT or insurance has expired

If you intend to renew your vehicle tax you should do so before your current tax disc expires. However, this isn’t always possible if you are waiting for insurance or getting an MOT for your vehicle.

You’ll be committing an offence if you use or keep your vehicle on the public road without a current tax disc. If you can’t get a tax disc, you must remove your vehicle off the road.

You’ll have 14 days to get a tax disc or make a SORN, while your vehicle is off the road.

Driving an untaxed vehicle to an MOT test

You can drive your vehicle to and from a pre-arranged test at an MOT test station as long as you have adequate insurance cover.

This also applies to vehicles being driven to and from a pre-arranged test at:

  • a Vehicle Inspection Check (VIC) test station
  • an approved weight testing station and reduced pollution test station

Additional links

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Get Highway Code reminders

Get reminders about the Highway Code by following it on Twitter and Facebook

Access keys

If you would like to take part in our website visitor survey, please visit the site and then come back and select this link to take part in the survey.