Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2023

Tax your vehicle online or by phone

You can tax your vehicle online or by phone if you:

  • are the registered keeper of the vehicle and your name, address and any vehicle changes are updated at the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
  • have a ‘Vehicle Licence Application/Statutory Off Road Notification’ (V11 reminder) or Registration Certificate (V5C)
  • have valid insurance covering the use of the vehicle on the day the tax disc comes into force
  • have a valid MOT, Goods Vehicle or Passenger Service Vehicle (PSV) test (if needed) which is valid when the tax disc comes into force
  • have a debit or credit card - a £2.50 service charge applies when using a credit card, there’s no charge for using a debit card
  • have a valid exemption certificate

You can renew your tax any day from the fifth day of the month.

Taxing your vehicle with an exemption certificate

If you are taxing your vehicle online with an exemption certificate, it will need to be one of the following:

  • Certificate of Entitlement to Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • annual Certificate of Entitlement
  • DLA404 Certificate
  • MHS330 Certificate
  • WPA0442 Certificate

You will also need the surname, date of birth and national insurance number of the exemption certificate holder along with the certificate serial number. You don’t need a credit card or debit card if applying to tax your vehicle in the disabled tax class.

You cannot tax in the disabled tax class for the first time online or by phone. This can only be done at a Post Office® branch that issues tax discs.

What you need to know to use the online service

Insurance, MOT and entitlement to disability exemption are checked electronically during the application. You should receive the new tax disc in the post within five working days.

You will need to have valid insurance on the date you want the tax disc to come into force (or the date you apply, if this is later). This is checked on the Motor Insurance Database (MID). If your vehicle tax and insurance are due at the same time or if you’ve recently changed your insurance company, there may be problems checking insurance while waiting for the MID to update.

Before you tax, you can make an online check to see if the MID has updated. The result will apply only to the day you make your check.

What you'll need when you apply for your tax disc

Be sure to have the following:

  • the 16 digit reference number printed in the green box on the front of your V11 reminder or
  • the 11 digit reference number shown on the front of your registration certificate and your vehicle registration number
  • your Certificate of Entitlement to DLA, annual Certificate of Entitlement, DLA404 Certificate, MHS330 Certificate or WPA0442 Certificate if you claim disability exemption
  • your debit or credit card (a £2.50 service charge applies when using a credit card)

Apply by phone

Apply by phone on 0300 123 4321. Text phone/minicom 0300 790 6201.

Unable to use the service?

If you are unable to use this service, you'll need to tax your vehicle at a DVLA local office or a Post Office® branch that issues tax discs. Follow the link below for more information about taxing.

Provided by DVLA

Additional links

DVLA's vehicle online services cookies policy

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Get Highway Code reminders

Get reminders about the Highway Code by following it on Twitter and Facebook

Access keys

If you would like to take part in our website visitor survey, please visit the site and then come back and select this link to take part in the survey.