Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Archive brought to you by Cross Stitch UK

Main menu

Tuesday, 2 October 2023

Who to notify when you move home

When you move, you’ll need to tell a number of people and organisations that your address has changed. Use this checklist to help you identify who to contact in government departments. The list also includes some organisations outside government.

When to tell people you're moving

It’s best not to notify anyone of your address change until the contracts have been exchanged. Otherwise, if the sale falls through, you’ll need to contact everyone again.

Change of address service

You can tell many different organisations of your new address, including gas and telephone companies and government offices, by using the website 'I am moving'.

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC)

If you’re VAT-registered, use the online form to change your details.

You should contact HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) to update their records for the following:

  • Income Tax (PAYE and Self Assessment)
  • National Insurance
  • Child Benefit
  • Child Trust Fund (you’ll also need to update your account provider)
  • Student loan (you’ll also need to tell the Student Loans Company)
  • Tax credits

You need to contact HMRC even if you pay tax through PAYE and have already told your employer or pension provider.

HMRC email service

You can send one email to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) which will update all of the records above except tax credits and Child Benefit. HMRC will also notify:

  • the Government Gateway
  • the Pensions service

It's important to know that the email service will only update your own personal details. If you've moved with your partner, they'll need to send a separate email to update their details.

For details of the email service, or to contact HMRC by phone or letter, see ‘Change of name or address – how to report it to HMRC’.

Student loans

If you’re a full-time student, you can log onto your student account to change your address details. Part-time or postgraduate students need to request a ‘Change of circumstances form’.

Find out more by using the link or watching the video on student finance.

Department of Work and Pensions (DWP)

You’ll need to contact different offices at DWP, depending on what you receive:

  • Employment and Support Allowance / Incapacity Benefit (contact Jobcentre Plus)
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance (Jobcentre Plus)
  • Income Support (Jobcentre Plus)
  • Disability Living Allowance or Attendance Allowance (Disability Benefits Helpline)
  • Carer's Allowance (use the link to the change of circumstance e-service)
  • Winter Fuel Payment (use the link below)
  • State Pension or Pension Credit (contact the Pension Service)

Your local council

You’ll need to contact your local council's Council Tax office. Let them know the date you move out of your current property and when you move into your new one so they bill you correctly.

You’ll also have to tell your council you’re moving if you receive:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Benefit
  • a Blue Badge parking permit

Driving licence and vehicle registration (DVLA)

You will need to tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) separately of any changes to:

  • your driving licence
  • your vehicle registration certificate (V5C/logbook)

You will also need to contact your car insurance company and breakdown cover provider (if you have one).


You don't need to get your passport amended if you have changed your address.

Your vote

If you’ve just moved house, you’ll need to register to vote again. Find out how to do this on the ‘About my vote’ website.

Land Registry

If you own a property, making sure Land Registry has your up-to-date contact details can reduce the risk of property fraud.

If you buy a new property, your solicitor or conveyancer will update Land Registry for you, using the contact details you gave them.

If you move out of a property you still own (eg you rent it out or leave it empty), you’ll need to update Land Registry yourself. To find out how, see ‘Changing your details in the land register’.

Health services

If you’re moving out of the local area, you may need to change your doctor, dentist or optician – ask them if this applies to you. See ‘Find health services in your area’ to find health professionals near your new home.

Utility providers

Utility providers supply gas, electricity and water.

You will need to:

  • tell your providers at least 48 hours in advance that you’re moving
  • pass on the details of your current supplier to the people moving in
  • on moving day, read the meters in both properties (old and new)

For more details, and to find out your new home’s supplier, use the links below.

Financial providers

When drawing up a list of who you need to contact, think about:

  • banks and building societies
  • insurance
  • investments and savings
  • private pension schemes (you’ll need to tell the pension scheme administrator)
  • credit and store cards

Television, internet and telephone

You will need to transfer your television licence to your new address. You can do this online, using the link 'TV licensing change of address service'. Alternatively, you can call 0300 790 6131.

You’ll also need to contact your:

  • internet service provider
  • digital / cable / satellite TV supplier
  • landline and mobile phone provider

Postal redirection

You can have post redirected so it is sent to your new address. The Post Office provides this service. It can take up to 10 days to set up and there is a charge.

Telling your employer

Let your employer know if you move. You usually send this information to your company’s human resources department.

Financial help with moving

If you are on a low income or are disabled, you may be able to apply for financial help with moving. See the links below for information on the options available.

Printable checklist

You can print out a checklist for moving home using the link below.

Additional links

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Access keys