Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Archive brought to you by Cross Stitch UK

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2023

Carer's Allowance - how to claim

There are several ways of making a claim for Carer's Allowance. You can claim online, ask for a claim form to be sent to you or you can download a form from this page.

If you live in Northern Ireland

If you live in Northern Ireland, please go the the nidirect website for details about how to claim Carer's Allowance in Northern Ireland.

Claim online

You can only claim Carer's Allowance online if you live in England, Scotland or Wales.

To claim online, use the Carer's Allowance e-service and follow the on-screen instructions to complete an electronic form to claim Carer's Allowance.

Contact the Carer's Allowance Unit

The Carer's Allowance Unit can send you a claim form. Tell them if you need the claim form in alternative format, such as Braille.

Their address is Carer's Allowance Unit, Palatine House, Lancaster Road, Preston, PR1 1HB

Telephone: 0845 608 4321

Textphone: 0845 604 5312

You can contact these numbers between 8.30 am and 5.00 pm Monday to Thursday, and between 8.30 am and 4.30 pm on Fridays.

If your first language is not English or Welsh, ask for information about the interpreter service.

Fax: 01772 899 354


Ask the Benefit Enquiry Line

You can contact the Benefit Enquiry Line for a claim form and advice on how to fill it in.

Telephone: 0800 88 22 00

Textphone: 0800 24 33 55

You can contact these numbers between 8.30 am and 6.30 pm Monday to Friday.

Ask a local office for a form

You can get a claim form from any Jobcentre Plus office or pension centre.

Download the claim form

You can download help notes and a claim form to print off and complete.

If you download the form, please complete and return it as soon as possible. The date your form is received will affect the date from which you will start to receive Carer's Allowance.

If you get any amount of State Pension, you can make a claim for Carer's Allowance using a shortened claim form. It contains help notes.

When to claim Carer's Allowance

Claim now if you look after someone who is getting or has recently been awarded:

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance at the middle or highest rate of the care component
  • Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate as an addition to Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the basic (full day) rate as an addition to a War Disablement Pension

Do not delay or you could lose benefit.

Claim later if you look after someone who has not yet claimed one of the benefits mentioned above. Or has claimed but is waiting for a decision.

The person you look after should consider claiming one of these benefits straight away if they have not claimed already. If they are awarded one of the benefits, you should claim Carer's Allowance straight away.

Claiming other benefits and entitlements

If you qualify for Carer's Allowance, you may also be entitled to:

  • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Benefit

Additional links

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Access keys