Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Archive brought to you by Cross Stitch UK

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2023

Attendance Allowance - rates and how to claim

Attendance Allowance is paid at two rates depending on how your disability affects you. The claim pack gives some examples of different levels of care needs. You can claim Attendance Allowance online.


Attendance Allowance Weekly rate
Higher rate £77.45
Lower rate £51.85

How to claim

Already claiming Attendance Allowance and want to report a change in your circumstances - find out more

Claim straight away - if you delay you may lose benefit.

You can claim online or get a claim pack by:

  • phoning the Benefit Enquiry Line
  • downloading the form directly from this page

Claim online

To claim Attendance Allowance online use the link below and follow the on-screen instructions.

Call the Benefit Enquiry Line

This is a confidential freephone service for disabled people and carers. You can call the Benefit Enquiry Line and ask them to send you a claim pack. They can send you the claim pack in an alternative format if required - for example, Braille.

They can also arrange for someone to help you fill out the form if required. Please note that the person you speak to may need to arrange for someone to phone you back.

Telephone: 0800 88 22 00

Textphone: 0800 24 33 55

You can also use the Text Relay service.

The Benefit Enquiry Line is open from 8.30 am to 6.30 pm Monday to Friday.

If you request a claim pack from the Benefit Enquiry Line, the date of your phone call will be treated as your date of claim. This is the date from which Attendance Allowance can be paid, as long as you send your form back within six weeks of that date. If you delay making a claim, you may lose out on benefit.

The person taking your call will not have your personal papers but will be able to give you general advice. This advice must not be taken as a decision about your claim.

Download a form to print at home

You can download a claim form (AA1A) to print off and fill in using a pen. Or complete the form on your computer and print off. The form comes with notes that will help you fill it in and tell you where to send it. We will treat the day we get your form back as the date of your claim.

If you are going to complete the form on your computer, it is recommended that you save the form on your computer before completing it. To do this simply right click with your mouse on the link below and choose the 'Save Target As' option. You cannot save the form once you've opened it in an internet browser.

Once you have filled in the form, you can print and sign it.

If you are having technical difficulties with the claim form

If you are having technical difficulties - for example, downloading the form, navigating around the form or printing a hard copy - please contact the eService helpdesk:

Phone: 0845 601 80 40

Textphone: 0845 601 80 39


The eService helpdesk is open 8.00 am to 9.00 pm Monday to Friday and 8.00 am to 4.00 pm Saturday and Sunday.

Once you have made your claim

Once you have made your claim, you can get advice on Attendance Allowance from the Disability Living Allowance/Attendance Allowance Helpline.

Telephone: 08457 123 456

Textphone: 08457 22 44 33

The helpline is open from 7.30 am to 6.30 pm Monday to Friday.


You can also use the RNID Text Relay service.

It will usually take around 40 working days to deal with your claim, unless the claim is made under the special rules. If a claim is made under the special rules it will be dealt with much more quickly.

Effect on other benefits and entitlements

If your claim for Attendance Allowance is successful, you may get extra money for severe disability paid as part of:

  • Pension Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Benefit

If someone claims Carer's Allowance for providing care to you and they are paid Carer's Allowance you may not receive this extra amount.

You can download a leaflet with this information and advice about Carer's Allowance.

For more information, you should contact the office dealing with your claim or contact the Disability Living Allowance/Attendance Allowance Helpline.

The Warm Front Scheme

If you receive Attendance Allowance and live in England, you can get a grant from the Warm Front Scheme. This is used to help you with the costs of home insulation and other heating improvements.

If you think a decision about your benefit is wrong

If you think a decision about your benefit claim is wrong you can ask the office who made the decision to explain it. You can also ask to have the decision reconsidered and, if you're still unhappy, you can, in most cases, appeal against the decision.

If you're not happy with the service you receive

If you have any complaints or comments about the way your claim was handled or the service you received, contact the Disability and Carers Service.

Additional links

Information about Disability Benefits - BSL version

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Access keys