Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Public services all in one place

Main menu

Wednesday, 3 October 2023

The application form, fee and supporting documents for renewing an adult passport

The Identity and Passport Service (IPS) has one standard form for all types of individual passport applications, including renewals. It comes with full instructions, whether you fill in the paper version or complete it online. Learn how to get the form and what fee and supporting documents you need to send.

The cost of renewing an adult passport

To renew an adult ten-year 32-page passport costs:

  • £72.50 for the standard service
  • £103.00 for the one-week Fast Track Service
  • £128.00 for the one-day Premium service

If you were born on or before 2 September 1929, your passport is free of charge. However, you will need to pay the extra fee for Fast Track or Premium services if you use them.

You can find detailed information in the section 'Passport fees, how long it takes and urgent passport applications'.

The application form

How to get it

You can get the form in four ways. You can:

  • complete the application form online, in which case IPS will print out the completed form and send it to you to sign and return with the supporting documents
  • collect it from a Post Office branch that offers the Check & Send service
  • request an application form online and IPS will send it to you in the post - allow up to five working days for delivery
  • call the Passport Adviceline 0300 222 0000 and ask IPS to send it to you in the post - allow up to five working days for delivery

Who needs to sign it

Usually, only you need to sign it if you are applying to renew your passport.

However, if your appearance is very different from the photo in your current or last passport, you should get your form countersigned at section 10.

The person you ask to countersign must be someone who has known you for at least two years. They must:

  • be over 18
  • hold a current British or Irish passport
  • be willing to write their passport number on the form

They should work in a recognised profession or otherwise have good standing in the community. You can find a list of suitable professions by following the link below to 'Who can countersign your application?'

You should ask the same person to certify one of your photographs. They do this by writing on the back:

  • 'I certify that this is a true likeness of [Miss, Mr, Mrs, Ms or other title and your full name]'

They must also sign and date the statement.

The supporting documents

Apart from the completed application form and two recent identical photographs, the only supporting document you need to send is your current or last passport.

What happens to your old passport?

IPS will cancel your old passport when a new one is issued. You cannot use the old passport, but IPS will return it to you unless it has been defaced or altered. In these cases it will be destroyed and not returned to you.

IPS advises you to photocopy all relevant pages showing stamps and visas. This may be helpful if you need replacements.

Access keys