Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Archive brought to you by Cross Stitch UK

Main menu

Tuesday, 2 October 2023

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (accidents)

You might get Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (accidents) if you're ill or disabled because of an accident or event that happened in connection with work. The amount you may get depends on your individual circumstances.

Who is eligible

You may be able to claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit if:

  • you were employed when the accident or event happened
  • the work accident or event that caused your illness or disability happened in England, Scotland or Wales

There are some exceptions you can ask your regional Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit centre about.

Who is not eligible

You cannot claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit if you were self-employed in work that caused your accident.

How much you can get

The amount of benefit you get depends on:

  • your age
  • the seriousness of your disability - assessed by a doctor on a scale of one to 100 per cent

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (accidents)

All amounts are a guide only:

Assessed level of disablement Aged over 18 (weekly amount) Aged under 18 with no dependants (weekly amount)
100% £158.10 £96.90
90% £142.29 £87.21
80% £126.48 £77.52
70% £110.67 £67.83
60% £94.86 £58.14
50% £79.05 £48.45
40% £63.24 £38.76
30% £47.43 £29.07
20% £31.62 £19.38

How Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (accidents) is paid

All benefits, pensions and allowances are paid into an account. This is the safest, most convenient and efficient method of payment.

Effect on other benefits

If you get Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit, this may affect other benefits you might receive that depend on how much money you have coming in.

If you get Income Support or Pension Credit, or any other kind of benefit because you are on a low income, contact the office that handles your claim for further information.

How to claim

You can claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit by completing a claim form.

You can get a claim form from your regional Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit centre or download a copy.

Reporting a work accident

You can apply for a declaration that you have had an industrial accident, even if you do not want to claim any benefit right away.

It is a good idea to apply for a declaration if you are not disabled immediately after your accident, but you think you may experience problems in the future as a result.

What to do if your circumstances change

It is important you contact the office that deals with your payments if you or someone you claim for:

  • goes into or leaves hospital
  • goes into or leaves a care home
  • goes abroad to live or visit
  • goes into prison

It is likely you or the person you are caring for will continue to get Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit - even if you are going abroad permanently.

Reduced Earnings Allowance is not payable if you move abroad permanently.

The office that deals with your payment can give you more information.

Other benefits you may be able to receive

Constant Attendance Allowance

You can claim for accidents where your disability is assessed at 100 per cent and you need daily care and attention.

The Constant Attendance Allowance rate you are paid is based on a doctor's assessment of your needs.

Exceptionally Severe Disablement Allowance

You can claim £63.30 paid in addition to the Constant Attendance Allowance rates, if you are assessed at Constant Attendance Allowance intermediate or exceptional rate and need permanent, constant care and attention.

Reduced Earnings Allowance

You may be able to get Reduced Earnings Allowance (REA) if your current earnings, or earnings in a job which it is considered you could do, are less than the current earnings in your previous regular occupation. You can only get REA if your accident occurred before 1 October 1990. The maximum weekly rate is £63.24.

Retirement Allowance

Retirement Allowance replaces Reduced Earnings Allowance when you reach State Pension age. The maximum weekly rate is £15.81.

Help to stay in employment

If your health or disability affects the way you do your job, the Access to Work scheme may help you to stay in work.

Additional links

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Access keys