Archive Website of the UK government

Please note that this website has a UK government accesskeys system.

Archive brought to you by Cross Stitch UK

Main menu

Tuesday, 2 October 2023

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (diseases and deafness)

If you are ill or disabled because of disease caused by certain types of work, you might get Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (diseases). The amount you may get depends on your individual circumstances.

Who is eligible

You can claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (diseases) if you were employed in a job that caused your disease. The scheme covers more than 70 diseases, including:

  • a disease caused by working with asbestos
  • asthma
  • chronic bronchitis or emphysema
  • deafness
  • pneumoconiosis (including silicosis and asbestosis)
  • osteoarthritis of the knee
  • prescribed disease A11 (previously known as vibration white finger)

You can get a full list of illnesses from your regional Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit centre.

Recent changes

From 30 March 2012, people with osteoarthritis of the knee who mainly worked fitting or laying carpets or floors have been eligible to claim. They have to have been carrying out this work for 20 years or more.

From 1 August 2012, if you have lung cancer and you worked mainly as a coke oven worker, you may be eligible to claim. You have to have worked for at least five years in top oven work, or at least 15 years in other oven work. If you worked fewer years on both types of work, the time spent on both can be added together to help you qualify.

Who is not eligible

You cannot claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit if you were self-employed in work that caused your disease.

How much you can get

Your individual circumstances, including your age and the severity of your disability, will affect the level of benefit you may get. This will be assessed by a doctor on a scale of one to 100 per cent. For certain lung diseases, payment is made at the 100 per cent rate from the start of your claim.

All amounts are a guide only:

Assessed level of disablement Aged over 18 (weekly amount) Aged under 18 with no dependants (weekly amount)
100% £158.10 £96.90
90% £142.29 £87.21
80% £126.48 £77.52
70% £110.67 £67.83
60% £94.86 £58.14
50% £79.05 £48.45
40% £63.24 £38.76
30% £47.43 £29.07
20% £31.62 £19.38

How is Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (diseases and deafness) paid

All benefits, pensions and allowances are paid into an account. This is the safest, most convenient and efficient method of payment.

Effect on other benefits

If you get Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit, this may affect other benefits you might receive that depend on how much money you have coming in.

If you get Income Support, or any other kind of benefit because you are on a low income, contact the office that handles your claim for further information.

How to claim

You should claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit straight away or you could lose benefit.

You can get a claim form from your regional Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit centre or download an Industrial Injuries Disablement claim form.

What to do if your circumstances change

It is important you contact the office that deals with your payments if you or someone you claim for:

  • goes into or leaves hospital
  • goes into or leaves a care home
  • goes abroad to live or visit

In most cases, you or the person you are caring for will continue to get Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit - even if you are going abroad permanently.

Reduced Earnings Allowance is not payable if you move abroad permanently.

The office that deals with your payment can give you more information.

Other benefits you may be able to receive

Depending on your circumstances, you may be able to claim other benefits as well as or instead of Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (diseases).

Constant Attendance Allowance

You can claim for diseases that started before 1 October 1990, where your disability is assessed at 100 per cent and you need daily care and attention.

The Constant Attendance Allowance rate you are paid is based on an assessment of your needs.

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (accidents)

You may be able to get Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (accidents) if you are disabled as a result of a work-related accident.


If you suffer from certain dust-related diseases you may get a payment under the Pneumoconiosis (Workers Compensation) Act 1979.

Exceptionally Severe Disablement Allowance

You can claim £63.30 paid in addition to the Constant Attendance Allowance rates, if you are assessed at Constant Attendance Allowance intermediate or exceptional rate and need permanent, constant care and attention.

Reduced Earnings Allowance

You may be able to get Reduced Earnings Allowance (REA) if your current earnings, or earnings in a job which it is considered you could do, are less than the current earnings in your previous regular occupation.

You can only get REA for claims relating to industrial diseases that first occurred before 1 October 1990. The maximum weekly rate is £63.24.

Retirement Allowance

Retirement Allowance replaces Reduced Earnings Allowance when you reach State Pension age. You may qualify for a maximum weekly rate of £15.81.

Help to stay in employment

If your health or disability affects the way you do your job, the Access to Work scheme may help you to stay in work.

Additional links

Simpler, Clearer, Faster

Try GOV.UK now

From 17 October, GOV.UK will be the best place to find government services and information

Access keys